Get Your Groove On! 7 Places to Enjoy Live Music in Puerto Rico
What do Ricky Martin, Daddy Yankee and Gilberto Santa Rosa have in common? They’re all Puerto Rican musical artists – each with a different imprint in the music world, but all with roots that hail back to the jewel of the Caribbean. From the evolution of salsa to the birth of reggaeton, these distinct sounds have a rich history that traces back to Puerto Rico.
To celebrate the music and the impact on the country’s rich history, Puerto Rico hosts amazing music events year round. With many of these events taking place outdoors, it’s important to always check the weather and pack accordingly. And, as in every tropical environment, don’t forget your bug repellent…memories of you dancing through the streets of Old San Juan are great souvenirs to bring home from your travels, not bug bites!
Puerto Rico’s rich musical culture is always on display, so grab your dancing shoes, check out the list below, and go enjoy all the music Puerto Rico has to offer:
Luquillo Beach Jazz Fest
- On May 29, Luquillo Square will host free live jazz performances and other activities to celebrate and promote jazz music in Puerto Rico.
Condado en Concierto
- Located in the Plaza Antonia Quinones, this outdoor concert occurs every second Sunday of the month from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Pop in for some live music on Sunday or Wednesday at 312 San Francisco St. in Old San Juan .
Océano Dance Nights
- Put on your dancing shoes and show off your salsa and merengue skills for Oceano’s Dancing on the Deck event every Tuesday at Calle Vendig #2.
- Throwback to the 80s and 90s in the lobby of the San Juan Marriott Hotel every Thursday from 8:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Heineken Ventana al Jazz
- Catch live jazz music the last Sunday of every month at 5:30 p.m. at Plaza Ventana al Mar at the Bahia Urbana park.
- The Plaza del Mercado comes alive on a daily basis but especially on Thursday and Friday nights. Visit the bars, listen to music and grab local cuisine to round out your night in Santurce.