#MyPuertoRico – What Millennials Need to Know to Plan Their Puerto Rico Getaway
Gather a group of friends, your significant other, or me, myself and I and book your trip to Puerto Rico. Close out the social media and look up flights, because now it the best time to go. If you are seeking new travel adventures and ways to immerse yourself in local culture, there is no place better than Puerto Rico. With beautiful white sand beaches, cobbled streets and thriving rainforests, the jewel of the Caribbean truly has something for every type of traveler.
Visitors to Puerto Rico can spend the day basking in the sun on Flamenco Beach, famous for its white sand and crystal clear blue waters. Adventure seekers can hike in El Yunque National Rainforest or find new thrills on the world’s longest zip line. History buffs can learn more about the island in Old San Juan. With 500-year old forts and more historic landmarks, there are many areas to explore. So don’t forget to pack your comfortable shoes…and a healthy supply of bug spray!
Here are a few tips to get started on your Puerto Rican adventure: From your airplane pictures to your #nofilter Instagram landscape shots, get ready to document your trip and start your planning today:
Step One: Book Your Flight
- Book your flight approximately 54 days before your departure. According to a recent CheapAir.com review of more than 1.3 million air fares, 54 is, on average, the magic number to get the best bang for your buck when booking a flight.
- What day is best to buy your ticket? Data from a December 2015 report by Expedia and the Airlines Reporting Company (ARC) suggest that Tuesdays and weekends are generally better days to purchase tickets and receive the best rates.
- Set up email alerts to monitor best rates. Airline fares change multiple times in one day so when it looks good to you and your budget, book it!
Step Two: Book Your Hotel Room
- Puerto Rico and its partners are making it easier than ever to find the best rates online. Visit SummerIsEasy.com to find great deals from online booking sites like Hotels.com, JetBlue Getaways, and more!
- Here is a list of some hotel favorites rated highly by guests and within a reasonable rate range:
- Sign up for the hotel rewards program. Points add up and the more you stay in places, the more you’re rewarded for your next trip.
Step Three: Pack, Pack, Pack!
- Pack versatile pieces you can use in multiple scenarios. A simple dress for the ladies can double as a beach cover up or for a night out salsa dancing.
- Make sure you have EPA-approved mosquito repellant, because you should never travel to any tropical location without it. Use repellent containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol, or IR3535. Remember to apply sunscreen first, then the insect repellent once the sunscreen has dried.
- Passport? Not necessary. US citizens heading to Puerto Rico don’t need a passport to enter, but be sure to bring a driver’s license or other form of official identification…you’ll need it!
- Pack a plan. Yes, one of the best parts of vacation is having the freedom to relax and do nothing, but you don’t want to miss out everything there is to do in Puerto Rico. From the world’s longest zip line to beautiful beaches, historic forts and a vibrant rainforest, Puerto Rico has so much to offer travelers. Visit SeePuertoRico.com and take the time to find out everything there is to do on the island. Then, make an effort to plan out as least one day to ensure you get to enjoy everything you want to experience.